Upcoming NL/AL/AAA (New York City)
|Up-to-date as of 2/15/2011 5:15PM.|
2010 Winter/Spring Season Starts March 2nd - REGISTER TODAY!
|Frequently Asked Questions|
|Payments (mod. for NYC)||Roster (mod. for NYC)|
|(2/15) The Winter/Spring 2011 Season is here. We’re looking to add new divisions this season, so see what suits you and your guys!More info|
(2/14) Happy Valentine’s Day. Hope you guys made your girl happy.
(2/15) Please check all FAQs before emailing us a question.
(2/15) Check out ways to play at a discount (depending on your commitment level), such as blogging, writing game stories, taking photos, shooting and editing video, or being a stats-guru!... More info
|More Notes from the Commish|
A New Look:
- In our 8th calendar year (are we really closing in on a decade?) - and at least 16th or 20th season now - we’re going to gauge interest this season to see if we have reason to launch a couple/few new divisions! Last season, we unveiled the Open Division to anyone of any background and it proved interesting. We hope to bring that back again - so all you top level ballers keep it coming - but we’re going to test the waters to see if we can add a 33 and over division and a 6 feet and under division. The AAA will again remain the most popular stage of play, so that stays as always. If you know guys who fit those bills (old or shorter)....let them know! We are targeting at least 5-6 teams per division to make it worthwhile. (We’ll even add a true rec division for those who really only want to play for fun, but that doesn’t seem very likely at this point as most everybody is competitive.)
- So...register your team's captain, roster, and preferences. After registering your team, please email that you have to: brian(at)dreamleague(dot)org and remember, all new players must submit an ONLINE WAIVER.
- As per usual, DLNY hold games on Wednesday and Thursday nights (7-10pm) and Sunday afternoons (12:30-4pm).
- We will be tipping off the season on Wed 3/2.
- Please pay all team entry fees up front. We are willing to work with teams on how they pay as we always have, but we really hope the effort and ability to pay in full by the season’s first game is there. It’s just easier and cleaner for everybody.
- Seasons, all the way through the playoffs, last on average 12 weeks long.
- There will be 8 regular season games.
- Beware, schedules can morph or be extended according to majority team availabilities and unforeseen circumstances with gym constraints (this nearly always happens each season.) We thank you for your understanding with any scheduling snafus or unexpected situations in advance.
- The goal here is to host something for everyone. Over the past few seasons, we’ve noticed some trends and we are taking these to heart and looking to adapt:
- We started in NYC as an Asian American league. The essence of that remains in tact, but as the game evolves and people kept asking about adding players of any background, we followed the DL-West lead and started an Open Division last season. It’s going to take time for word to continue to get out, but that division remains open for teams and players of any background, so we look for it to continue to move forward and be competitive. Several factors - marriages, aging, and moves to the West Coast - have torn apart many of our original NL squads leaving our most competitive division lighter and lighter. We hear this and we are doing what we can to retool and make it a hot box to play in again.
- The AAA will remain robust. It’s been the most popular level to play at for many years now. We try to keep teams from being too stacked for part of the reason some of the upper divisions have suffered is because top notch players from those divisions are sinking down to play here. Teams keep finding ways to fit within the rules though of carrying upper division players so there’s not much we can do other than...
- ...Maybe start a rec division which would field teams who are looking just to have fun and truly do not carry more than 1 or 2 guys who may have averaged 7.3 ppg on their high school team. As of this writing on 2/15/11, the likelihood of this division arriving is more likely not than likely because...
- For any division, we aim to have a minimum of 5-6 teams in it to make it worth the while. This includes the would-be new over 33 and under 6 feet divisions. (We have expressed interest from teams for these 2 divisions, but not so for a rec division.) Any oldies but goodies out there? If you’ve been worried about playing against kids twice the size of you and twice as fast as you in a competitive atmosphere and that’s what’s kept you off the court, well, come on back! We’re aiming to pit you against guys maybe still twice your size, but definitely not twice as fast. So break out the ben-gay, dust off the knee pads, get yourself a new headband, we want you back! Same goes for you guys who are interested in competing weekly against guys your height. Some of you like a tall challenge, but for those who don’t, our vertically challenged division might be the option for you.
- Here are some very important logistical issues for this season.
- We do our best to grant all schedule requests, but may not be able to fulfill all of them (but we're usually very good and have not disappointed yet), so it's best your team is ready to play on any of the game days. For those requests, please get them into us early! (Will repeat this point again - does anyone ever read this area?)
- Get your team's weekly tipoff preferences in asap. Scheduling this many teams is a very complicated process. Get your data in early and chances are you'll get what you want. We aim to please. Please email these preferences to the DL schedule maker Jae at: jae(at)dreamleague(dot)org.
- All players must complete an ONLINE WAIVER if they have not done so in the past, otherwise they will not be allowed to step foot on the court.
- Many of you are taking advantage of this. Good for you! Exciting ways to PLAY FOR FREE (or at a discount, depending on your level of commitment), such as blogging (or social networking) about your division, taking photos, writing stories, creating video, or being a statmonger!... More info
- If you are a free agent without a team to play on, we will try to place you on a team who needs you depending on their needs, your position, and what division you best belong in. We can make no promises with the FA route, but in all our years of doing this, only one player who emailed in to try to jump in as a free agent was unsuccessfully put on a team. It bothers us to this day, but still, our success rate hasn’t been too shabby.
- Team Entry Fees Payment Page is NOW OPEN! Go to the Payment Page.