|NL | AL-E | AL-P | AAA-E | AAA-P | AAA-6 | REC | AAA-P Upper Bracket | AAA-P Lower|
SIGNUPS FOR NEXT SEASON ('07 SPRING/SUMMER)
Hyphy wins on an and-one by Matawaran
APRIL 3, 2007 -- Scroll down or jump to the AAA-Lower championship, which was won by Kurruption.
MARCH 30, 2007 -- Recaps and VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS...
Bad late decisions lead to demise of Big Gamerz (3/18)
Matawaran's and-one gives Hyphy the championship (3/18)
MARCH 19, 2007 -- With 3.3 seconds left and down by one, Hyphy's Mike Gumpal found Andrew Matawaran open underneath and Matawaran delivered, plus the foul and free throw to help Hyphy win the AAA-P championship over the Lions, who had eliminated the Big Gamerz earlier in the day.
Stats, scores, recaps, and videos coming soon.
VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS from 3/4
MARCH 17, 2007 -- Video highlights now embedded... See videos
MARCH 16, 2007 -- Not quite ready yet in terms of embedding the video onto our website, but here's the link to all of the highlights from 3/4. Be sure to click on the "See All" link on this page... More info
Stats from 3/11 are up. Recaps and videos for 3/11 forthcoming.
Tipoffs for 3/18 Posted
MARCH 15, 2007 -- Click Bird's Eye View link above or SCHEDULE/SCORES page.
Mini-Recaps from 3/4
MARCH 15, 2007 -- Catch up on the previous weekend's slate of playoff games from 3/4. Some video highlights might be available soon, too. Also stay tuned for the same from 3/11.
As we finish off the season, look out for a recap of the season we just had, and what to look for next season as we'll be polling the captains on their teams' intentions, then updating the Rumor Mill for Spring/Summer 2007. We're going as fast as one man can input stats, write recaps, and upload video... More info
Playoff Brackets for 3/18 Updated
MARCH 13, 2007 -- Click on the Playoff Brackets link above. Hyphy held serve and sent the Lions to the Losers Bracket, where the Big Gamerz survived the doubleheader extravaganza.
After eliminating last season's runner-up, Got-Em, the Big Gamerz eliminated the SF Free Agents, which ran out of gas after upsetting SVU. Details forthcoming, including recaps from 3/11 and 3/4.
So this weekend, it will be the Big Gamerz against the Lions, followed by the winner against heretofore undefeated Hyphy, which will try to become one of those rare teams that runs the table.
Notes and VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS from 2/25
MARCH 8, 2007 -- Recaps and even some video from 2/25... More info
Reminder: Dumb-light Savings Time this Sunday
MARCH 7, 2007 -- Don't forget to set your clocks ahead one hour before your Sunday tipoff... More info
Kurruption wins AAA-P Lower championship
MARCH 6, 2007 -- Kurruption finally has a championship to show for all the seasons they've been in Dream League, with Sunday's victory over SloJams. Sure, it's "only" the Lower Bracket, but remember that we would have split the 23-team AAA-P into two divisions had we known how to do it in the first place. So this championship is just as legitimate as any other division's. Stats/recaps soon.
AAA-P Upper Playoff Brackets Updated for 3/11
MARCH 6, 2007 -- Hyphy remained undefeated and the Lions stayed on their tear in the playoffs, setting up a much-anticipated battle between the "die hard" Lions led by strong forward Jon McClain and pointman Chris Liclican, and the runnin-n-gunnin Hyphy led by versatile tall guard Marco Escalambre and the hard-nosed ballhandler Andrew Matawaran.
In the Losers Bracket, San Miguel staged a 4th-quarter comeback against the Ole Dirty Bastards, then carried the momentum to a 28-10 lead against #2 SVU, only to see Jim Wang shoot the lights out and end the San Miguel dream. Got-Em beat Aball, which beat Grey Goose.
This means we have #2 SVU, #3 Got-Em, #4 SFFA, and the #10 Big Gamerz in the Losers Bracket. Even though the highest seed is supposed to play against the lowest seed in the Losers Bracket, SVU has already played the Big Gamerz in the playoffs, so to mitigate the irrelevancy of that first meeting, SVU will play against the next-lowest seed, SFFA, which leaves us with Got-Em vs Big Gamerz. The winners of these games will play against each other, from which on 3/18 the winner will play the loser of Hyphy vs Lions in the Last Losers Bracket game, from which the winner will then play the winner of Hyphy/Lions for the championship. If a repeat championship is needed, it will be played on 3/25.
More info on the Losers Bracket pairings, as well as stats and recaps from 2/25 and 3/4 should be posted later this week.
The AAA-P Playoff Push Pt. 2
MARCH 3, 2007 -- Recaps and predictions from Vinsanity... More info
Schedule for 3/4 Posted
MARCH 1, 2007 -- Wow, it's March already. Btw, we plan to start next season with a soft launch on April 9. You can probably start your team as late as 2 weeks (4/23) after that. Look out for our usual big pre-season blast email.
Anyways, click on the Bird's Eye View link above for 3/4. Again, the SCORES/SCHEDULES page won't be updated for another 24-36 hours. Also, the scores and stats from last week are gonna be a little delayed, as we weren't able to pickup the scoresheets from CSM, BCRC, and IJRC. The good news is, most of the stats from up to 2/11 should all be up by now and you know who won by the Playoff Brackets page. If not, feel free to email us, as our assumption is that our teenage statcrew fulfilled their assignments.
Use Common Sense with Scheduling
FEBRUARY 27, 2007 -- Please be reminded of several things when it comes to scheduling. First, we have designed dreamleague to be flexible to every teams' ever-changing weekly desires (that's why we do it this way), but please provide specific times when making requests, otherwise you leave it open to interpretation. Second, we're in playoffs and many teams are gone, which means tipoff timeframes are, by nature, squeezed because gym directors only want to deal with blocks of time in a row.
Scheduling decisions will be made on a democratic basis. Failing that, we will do what is best for league logistics, which often include scorekeeping staff constraints. Finally and most importantly, be prepared for the worst. If the stars between you and your opponent's requests -- along with that of the gym directors -- do not align, then your players will have to make some choices. Don't be surprised if some games are decided by the players who are able to clear their Sunday schedules over those who are not.
Playoff Brackets Updated for 3/4
FEBRUARY 26, 2007 -- Click on the Playoff Bracket links above. In the Lower Bracket, Kurruption upset Das Boot to earn the right to face SloJams in the championship. SloJams gets the homecourt (SF).
In the Upper Bracket, the Big Gamerz upset SVU. We now have six teams left in the Losers Bracket, which means the bottom four seeds have to battle each other, then face the top two seeds. You can see how San Miguel's path to the present has been an arduous one, nevertheless here we are and more empty bracket spaces will be filled after 3/4 (and others eliminated). This also means SVU and Got-Em get homecourt in the Losers Bracket, which means all these games are likely to occur in Oakland.
Wow, a #14 vs #10 (Lions at Big Gamerz homecourt in Oakland) and a #4 vs #1 (same homecourt for Hyph as SFFA) in the Winners Bracket. February Madness! More info later this week.
The Playoff Push
FEBRUARY 23, 2007 -- [From Vinsanity:] It's that time of year again when hopes are lifted, only to be crushed at the drop of a hat…when luck seemingly determines the outcome between winning and losing…when precise execution is vital to success. No, I'm not talking about tax season... More info
Schedule for 2/25 Posted
FEBRUARY 22, 2007 -- Click on the Bird's Eye View link above. Please note that we'll put the schedule up on each league's SCHEDULE/SCORES page, but the SCHEDULE/SCORES page is prone to error, so please report any errors you see on SCHEDULE/SCORES to the league ASAP (this will be on Friday).
Playoff Brackets Updated
FEBRUARY 19, 2007 -- Click on the Playoff Brackets link above.
AAA-P Team Profile: SloJams
FEBRUARY 9, 2007 -- Welcome to this week's installment of my ongoing AAA-Premier team profile segment. It's only fitting that I take on another team with an unconventional name... More info
Refs for 2/11, Scheduling for 2/25
FEBRUARY 9, 2007 -- FYI: for 2/11, 5 of our top 7 refs are unavailable.
For 2/25 (remember, 2/18 is a leaguewide bye unless there are a bunch of objections), please to tell us early about your tipoff preferences. If there are particularly special/acute requests, we will ask you to provide one scorekeeper before or after your game, that week or the following.
This bears repeating because two of our veteran teams this past weekend alerted the league office to times they could not attend, at the last minute.
To all the players out there, don't make your captains look like a troublemaker to the league office. Be a little more proactive with your calendar. Communicate with your captain. If you don't, then you're leaving your team out to dry at the worst time, during playoffs.
Mike & Mike ain't got nuthin' on A-Mac+Vinsanity
FEBRUARY 8, 2007 (4:00PM) -- Like ESPN's Mike & Mike (though it'd be off the hook if we did a true "PTI" back-and-forth, huh?), we have our first-ever A-Mac & Vinsanity rant. Plus check out Das Boot's new unis... More info
Tipoffs for 2/11 Posted
FEBRUARY 8, 2007 (8:00AM) -- See Bird's Eye View link above. SCHEDULE/SCORES pages, which are more error-prone, to be updated later. Bird's Eye is just a copy/paste of the master spreadsheet, so it's final.
AAA-P Team Profile: SOMA Ballers
FEBRUARY 7, 2007 -- [From Vinsanity:] The SOMA Ballers are one of the new additions to the AAA-Premier mix this season. Their squad might be the closest thing to a "Family Affair" since the majority of their players are related in some way or another... More info
Reminder: no games on 2/18
FEBRUARY 6, 2007 -- As you should know by now, I'll be gone on 2/18 for the Vegas All-Star Weekend Tourney. It's listed as a league-wide bye.
If this is a problem for anyone, please let us know ASAP, although we'd be hard-pressed to find backup staff to run dreamleague on 2/18 anyways.
Playoffs will last 5 weeks, 6 if a repeat championship is needed. That means with 2/18 as a bye, we would end on 3/18 (or 3/25 with a repeat championship).
#1 Hyphy and #2 SVU get a bye on 2/11
FEBRUARY 6, 2007 -- Due to the massive size of the 14 double-elimination-status .500+ teams, #1 Hyphy and #2 SVU will each get a first round bye on 2/11. The other 12 teams in the Upper Bracket will square off. Check the Final Rankings to see how the seeds panned out... More info
For the sub-.500 teams, check the AAA-P Lower Bracket for more.
Quick Predictions for 2/4
FEBRUARY 2, 2007 -- [From A-Mac:] In honor of what will be an unprecedented amount of gambling going on this Sunday, I thought I'd offer up some AAAP picks to get us primed for the big game later that afternoon... More info
Bird's Eye View Schedule for 2/4 Now Up
FEBRUARY 1, 2007 -- See Bird's Eye link above. For AAA-P this is a weekend of makeup games, mostly in the East. Reminder: all teams should have 8 regular season games completed after 2/4. Only teams with more than 8 paid roster slots can have more than 8 players anytime during the playoffs.
Playoffs start on 2/11. There might be room for one or two more teams to join the upper bracket, but for the most part if you finish below .500, you'll be in a separate lower, single-elimination playoff bracket (probably with 8 teams).
Final payment audit will occur by Fri 2/2.
As usual, the SCHEDULE/SCORES page will not be posted until later (and is more prone to error whereby the Bird's Eye View is the final version).
Auto-Forfeit Alerts for 1/28
JANUARY 26, 2007 (4:30PM) -- Check the online spreadsheet on the Registry of Payments page (link is on the right). The following teams are at risk of forfeiting before tipoff this Sunday 1/28...
The following teams will be at risk of auto-forfeits next week 2/4...
- Hyphy: 6 spots paid, 7th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid.
- Kurruption: 6 spots paid, 7th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid.
- Ole Dirty Bastards: 7 spots paid, 8th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid.
- S.F.F.D.: 7 spots paid, 8th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid.
- San Miguel: 5 spots paid, 8th game on 1/28 = 3 spots to be paid.
- SOMA Ballers: 6 spots paid, 8th game on 1/28 = 2 spots to be paid.
- Wolverines: 7 spots paid, 8th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid.
Matchup Explanations for 1/28
- Big Gamerz: 8th game on 2/4, 7 spots paid thus far.
- Hyphy: 8th game game on 2/4, 6 spots paid thus far.
- Kurruption: 8th game on 2/4, 6 spots paid thus far.
- SFFA: 8th game on 2/4, 7 spots paid thus far.
JANUARY 26, 2007 (1:00PM) -- Matchups were determined by standings. We wanted all the 3-4 teams to play against each other for fairness. But within that subgroup, we purposely matched up the teams we thought (and proven by other rough tiebreaker standards) were stronger 3-4 teams against the weaker 3-4 teams. This was the best way to be fair in the matchups.
The only other game that has playoff implications would be Big Gamerz at 3-3 vs San Miguel 4-3 (already clinched double-elim). BGmz plays against the struggling Kurruption on 2/4. So all East teams are playing on 2/4 except Grey Goose. Aball vs RFOB and Hyph vs SFFA round out the schedule, which will be pre-Superbowl kickoff.
After 2/4, all teams should have 8 regular season games played.
Auto-forfeit report comes out later today.
DLBA Content Finally Within Earshot of DLNY's
JANUARY 26, 2007 (8:00AM) -- Okay, the real headline should be "Team Profile of AAA-P Das Boot", but this stuff is so good, every division has this paragraph on their homepage now.
Vinsanity's interview of Das Boot captain John Yi finally gives us one notch in terms of awesome local content. If you've ever read the DL NYC pages, you know that we've been envious of such fantastic reading consumption. Only about 364 such interviews to go to catch up to NYC. Thank you, Vinsanity... More info
Schedule for 1/28 Posted
JANUARY 25, 2007 (8:00PM) -- See Bird's Eye View link above.
Still Working on the 1/28 Schedule
JANUARY 25, 2007 (12:00PM) -- Sorry about this. Killed a day working (finally) on the Vegas tournament. Also, remember that Big T Monkey and I are geeks and spend certain Saturdays coding the new dreamleague website. Saturday was tiring as I had to spend another 3 hours till 1am sorting out the 3rd batch of t-shirts. Plus, I spend about 13 hours every Sunday running the league, so I definitely took my single "weekend" day on Monday.
Anyhow, the schedule should be up by 5pm today. Auto-forfeit updates also coming soon, so you better get your payments in before they go up by $1 tonight.
Meanwhile, enjoy the latest blog entry by A-Mac below.
AAA-P Scouting Report: Eastern Conference
JANUARY 25, 2007 (12:00PM) -- Here's a quick survey of what the Oaktown crowd got goin' on. To make sure I give a fuller perspective, I polled my teammates and got their thoughts, too... More info
JANUARY 18, 2007 (2:30PM) -- Time to check the Payment Registry page again (see link on the right under "articles from this season"). Here are the teams that are at risk of auto-forfeiting this Sunday 1/21...
...and the teams that will be in jeopardy next week...
- Lions: 6 spots paid, 7th game on 1/21 = 1 spot to be paid by 1/21.
- SFFD: 6 spots paid, 7th game on 1/21 = 1 spot to be paid by 1/21.
- Wolverines: 6 spots paid, 7th game on 1/21 = 1 spot to be paid by 1/21.
...and finally, teams that are not fully paid yet...
- Hyphy: 6 spots paid, 7th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid by 1/28.
- Kurruption: 6 spots paid, 7th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid by 1/28.
- ODB: 6 spots paid, 7th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid by 1/28.
- Ryusei: 7 spots paid, 8th game on 1/28 = 1 spot to be paid by 1/28.
- San Miguel: 5 spots paid, 8th game on 1/28 = 3 spots to be paid by 1/28.
- SOMA Ballers: 6 spots paid, 8th game on 1/28 = 2 spots to be paid by 1/28.
Please keep checking the Payment Registry page for updates.
- Big Gamerz: 7 spots paid, 8th game on 2/4.
- SFFA: 7 spots paid, 8th game on 2/4.
- Got-Em: 7 spots paid, 8th game on 2/4.
Schedule for 1/21 Now Up
JANUARY 18, 2007 (10:30AM) -- Bird's Eye View schedule is now up (see link above). SCHEDULE/SCORES pages being updated ASAP.
One thing that is still not getting through to dozens of players is that as soon as they know their own personal schedule for Sunday and it affects their team's/teams' minimum 6-hour tipoff window, they should contact their captain immediately or just email the league office and copy in their captain.
If you do this before Tuesday of every week, you have a much greater chance of getting the time you want. If you wait until Tuesday afternoon and we've already started the schedule, it is usually nearly impossible to accommodate because our schedule has so many dependencies, namely with guys playing on multiple teams and making sure scorekeepers who play on certain teams are in the right place at the right time. Thus, by Tuesday night, the schedule becomes a veritable house of cards.
Don't forget that if you do make a special tipoff request, it is customary to scorekeep the game before or after in exchange. This is because it is indeed more difficult to construct the schedule with constrained parameters.
T.L Bombers on Brink of Expulsion
JANUARY 17, 2006 (1:30PM) -- The T.L Bombers failed to pay the minimum 4 spots needed on Sunday, paying for 2, and forfeited the game. We have not heard from them since. At this rate, we do not feel inclined to schedule their game this Sun 1/21 (why do it if there is risk of a waste of time?).
Unless TLB pays for the now 3 spots owed on 1/21 at $92 each, they will be expelled from the league with a debt of the remaining balance owed to Dream League, which means all players would be banned from Dream League until the debt is paid.
How does the saying go? "Fool me once..."
Matchups for 1/21
JANUARY 17, 2006 (8:00AM) -- We're still working on the tipoffs. In the meantime, here are some notes for 1/21...
Payment registries will be updated today and potential auto-forfeits announced tomorrow.
- ODB at Lion: Maybe really late. Clash of two .500s. Good post matchup of Vince Morales (Lion) and Jason Ting (ODB). Will veteran guards of ODB such as Jimmy Chen and Kelvin Yip outduel the youth/talent of Lions' Chris Liclican and Derrick Camerino?
- WWWD at RFOB: Peninsula gym closes at 3pm. Probably early game. One of them will finally have a win, but the other will continue the losing streak!
- Abll at SJB: Abll requested 2pm, last game on Peninsula. Chance for SJB to close the gap in the South. Marquee matchup: Henry Nguyen (SJB) vs Mark Fang (Abll). Abll seems to have the edge in the frontcourt.
- Kurr at Got: Probably pinned at mid-PM to avoid AL Kurr overlap. Kurr needs to make a move in the standings right here. Can Kurr frontline stop Jason Leong from too many offensive boards?
- SVU at BAS: Probably last game in afternoon at BCRC. Can anybody stop the inside-outside combo of SVU? Heat check for SVU's Jim Wang, who went crazy on 1/14.
- BGmz at Grey: Probably last game in mid-PM at IJRC. Both in from SF. Marquee matchup of very equally matched teams, similar styles of smaller grind-out ball. Rex Francis (BGmz) vs Dante Riley (Grey) down low. Riley bigger, but BGmz guards somewhat quicker.
- Bnch at Ryu: Makeup from 1/14. Probably mid-afternoon in SF. Clash of .500s. Inverse teams. Ryu scores from the front court but then again outside with Jon Kwok and Jimmy Hom. It's guards Darren Yasutake and Anthony Ingua for Bnch.
- Wolv at Boot: Intra-repeat based on standings. Maybe midday. Wolv still looking for first win as spoiler. Boot hanging onto .500 quest. Kris Neri (Wolv) and Tony Yean (Boot) have been essentially dormant. When will they break out?
- SFFD at SFFA: Intra-repeat based on standings. Probably first game in AM, due to lack of others. Can anybody stop SFFA? Maybe SFFD if they ever showed up with a full squad. Old folks SFFD vs young 'uns SFFA. Speed (SFFA) vs muscle (SFFD).
- BYES: Hyph, Yay, SloJ, SOMA, SMig (Remember, Hyph only has 6 games right now, but will play the interconf like everybody else on 1/28, then play SFFA on 2/4.
JANUARY 12, 2007 -- The following teams are in jeopardy of auto-forfeits...
Reminder: Keep Our Gyms Clean
- Das Boot: 1 spot needs to be paid before tipoff.
- SOMA: 1 spot before tipoff.
- Kurruption: 3 spots before tipoff.
- Yay Hustlers: 1 spot before tipoff.
- Wolverines: 1 spot before tipoff.
- Lions: By 1/21, 1 more spot.
- SFFA: By 1/21, 1 more spot.
- SFFD: By 1/21, 1 more spot.
JANUARY 11, 2007 (12:00PM) -- Every now and then, we have to send out a reminder. Please pickup plastic bottles and stuff that you normally leave at the bench.
Just bring ONE empty bottle with you on the way out and dump it in the garbage can. At Potrero, this has become really bad. So I'll try to get the gym director to move the garbage bins closer to each bench, but let's just not get him mad, okay?
1/14 Schedule Now Up
JANUARY 11, 2007 (8:00AM) -- Bird's Eye View now up. SCHEDULE/SCORES to be updated later. More on 1/14...
AAA-P Matchups for 1/14
- Payments haven't been updated for a few days.
- Auto-forfeit list (if any) to be posted soon.
- Byes: Hyph + SMig/Got/BAS/Abll/RFOB/ODB/Bnch/Ryu.
- See article below on matchups.
- All interconference games in SF due to Oak gym issues.
- No avoiding Wolv late game due to many issues.
- No avoiding big gap in between AAA-P and AL-P Kurr games.
- Scores are currently about 4-5 days' lag.
- Stats are currently at about 2 weeks' lag.
JANUARY 10, 2007 -- AAA-P matchups will be as follows for this Sun 1/14...
Photos of dreamleaguers
- First, we will give a bye on 1/14 to Hyph and force as their interconference game a much-anticipated showdown against fellow undefeated SFFA, but this game would need to be played on 2/4 since SFFA is already playing on 1/21 and Hyph on 1/28.
- The other byes for 1/14: SMig, Got, BAS, Abll, RFOB, ODB, Bnch, Ryu.
- SVU at Lions: In SF due to Oak gym problems. Only viable opponent left available for SVU is resurgent Lions.
- SJB at SFFD: In SF. Both teams 3-2.
- Yay at Wolv: Both teams winless, so a natural matchup.
- BGmz at SOMA: In SF. Both teams .500.
- Kurr at SloJ: In SF. Both teams been struggling lately.
- Boot at SFFA: Actually a makeup game.
- WWWD at Grey: Only one in Oak. Actually a makeup game.
JANUARY 9, 2007 -- Vinsanity has been taking some pics for us, mostly starting with AAA-P. Here are some updated as of 1/7. Maybe at some point during the playoffs he'll have a few shots of every division, but his primary focus will be AAA-P West... View photos
Quick Request: Paper for Scoresheets Needed!
JANUARY 9, 2007 -- While we have a break in the action early in the week, we'd like to request at least two (2) packs of 8.5" x 11" paper to print on. Doesn't have to be fancy; matter of fact, we'd prefer if it is of the "recycled" kind. These will be used as our scoresheets every week. We use about 70 sheets of paper for the 35 or so games we have each week, so we're a bit dwindled by now.
So if your big company can spare a ream or two, for the good of our community organization in which the bulk of the paper will eventually get handled by a teenager from the projects, please bring a ream or two to your next game this Sunday 1/14. THANKS!
Team Profile: SF Lions
The first of a series from Vinsanity (West) and A-Mac (East): While the Lions look like a new entry into the AAA-Premier this season, they are in fact a 'remix' of last years' AAA-P Grindin' squad... More info
More Scheduling News and Gym Idiocy
JANUARY 5, 2007 (1:00PM) -- Correction: Technics owes 3 spots before tipoff.
JANUARY 5, 2007 (8:00AM) -- Check the REC Season Schedule page for more...
A transcript of why the SCHEDULE/SCORES page didn't go up on Thu...
- Pretty smooth sailing from here on out.
- Playoffs probably won't start on 2/4 due to Superbowl at 3pm and limited gym space.
- Playoffs might get pushed back to 2/11.
- Might still have games on 2/18 if no teams in Vegas.
See the stupid !@#$% I have to deal with?
- Flashback to Wed 1/3. Commish on call to SMHS gym booker: "Is SMHS available this Sunday?"
- SMHS gym booker: "Yes, it's wide open."
- Commish: "Great, I'll call you on Thu with the specific times."
- SMHS: "Talk to booker supervisor in the morning since I won't get in until 1pm."
- Commish on Thu morning, voicemail to booker supe: "Just reconfirming Sunday."
- No word back for 6 hours.
- SMHS booker in v-mail to Commish: "Supe just told me they've got Color Guard in the gym all day Saturday. Sorry, can't do it."
- Commish with puzzled look at his cellphone, thinks: "But I friggin' asked for SUNDAY!" Leaves another voicemail.
- WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU: If you're scheduled to play in SMHS, I might need to move it to SQHX (Sequoia auxiliary gym).
Glaring payment delinquencies...
Rise Up, Oakland (Literally) for 1/7
- Technics: Must pay for at least
2 spots 3 spots before tipoff!
JANUARY 4, 2007 -- Check the Bird's Eye View for the schedule for 1/7, link is above. Due to the gym issues mentioned below, all Oakland games will be earlier than usual. This is the week where we predicted that everyone will have to suck it up. The SCHEDULE/SCORES page will be updated in a few hours.
The good news is, we've checked with IJRC for 1/14 and beyond, and we're looking good. More on 1/14 and beyond in a forthcoming article.
DON'T FORGET TO UPDATE YOUR PAYMENTS TO AVOID AUTO-FORFEITS (AND LATE FEES) THIS WEEKEND!!!
Some Good News, Some Bad News Affecting 1/7
JANUARY 3, 2007 -- Don't forget to check the payment issues in the immediate article below. Meanwhile, here's the bad news first...
Now here's the good news...
- OAKLAND TIPOFFS: We cannot play any later than a 12pm tipoff at IJRC (due to baby shower) and a 3:30pm tipoff at BCRC (due to famed Oakland Rebels youth practice). This means some Oakland teams have to start sucking it up and playing a little earlier than usual. Unless they want to play in SF. And tell us before it's too late.
- OAKLAND GYMS: We're trying to secure something at IJRC so this doesn't happen again. SACC got booked up all of a sudden (probably by the East Bay youth church league). We tried Alameda Point, Merritt and Laney College. Longfellow Middle School in Berkeley is still prohibitively expensive. We're pulling out all the stops. It just ain't happening right now in the thick of youth hoops. Just ask Encinal or Alameda HS, where NJB dominates. Luckily, this will all subside in March.
- GAMES ON SUPERBOWL 2/4: With a domino effect from above, everyone please be prepared to play on 2/4. Last tipoff would be at 1pm, since the Superbowl kicks off at 3pm. Teams that have requested tipoffs later than 1pm will have to suck it up. Not all divisions will play on 2/4. We will have more info as we get closer.
- PAYMENTS: Bears repeating to check the Payments article below, since forfeits and late fees are affected.
- T-SHIRTS: They've been ordered. Apparently a few of you didn't read the FAQ on t-shirts. Relax. It's just a t-shirt (that we can't pay for until we get certain payments in on time). Despite our perennial low-budget hand-to-mouth survival instincts, you will definitely get your t-shirt, so long as you paid on time and online way back. That being said, the vendor has said that only one-third of the shipment will be available this week, but it's crazy logistics getting the tees out to you anyways, so that doesn't change anything -- we'll still be handing out t-shirts at scorer's tables the next 3 weeks.
- LAST SEASON'S CHAMPIONS: We've got your awards, too. Will be distributed like the t-shirts, at scorer's table (maybe) at your game. Remember, it's a logistical nightmare, so please don't get too over-anxious right away.
- WE'RE MOSTLY CAUGHT UP ON STATS: Contact email@example.com for specific questions. And be very, very specific. Don't just say, "My stats are wrong." That doesn't help us one bit. You gotta point out the exact game, date, time, location, name of player, what stat is wrong, everything. By doing so, you save us time, otherwise we have to jump into the damn haystack to find your needle.
- STATS IS WORTH ANOTHER BULLET POINT: Almost totally being caught up with stats is a monumental effort led by Mark Chin. It's literally worth another "good news" bullet point to nearly even it all out. If you spot any curiously interesting stats, please let us know and we'll post them for everyone's entertainment.
Payments Audited -- Technics on Notice
JANUARY 2, 2007 -- We welcome the New Year on a bit of alert status, at least for Technics. As seen on the REC Registry of Payments page, Technics is a little behind on the payments.
They are supposed to have 5 spots paid for by tipoff Sunday 1/7, but they currently only have 3.
All other teams appear to be safe from risk of auto-forfeit, but the Wolverines and Gecko should take note that they are at risk of falling behind in the coming weeks.
Use the payment button on the right, or if you are having trouble finding it, click directly to the Payments page.
As you can see, we are well into the season by now and fees have gone up by $1 per game week elapsed. Everyone who pays this week will be paying a cumulative $5 late fee. Fees will continue to go up by $1 each week we have games.
Season Schedule Adjustments
DECEMBER 29, 2006 -- If you look on the Season Schedule Matchups article, we have corrected the schedule to reflect the makeup games with respect to 12/10, involving Cash-Tech and Papr-Warr.
Scheduling Notes for 12/16
DECEMBER 14, 2006 -- The Cash vs Tech makeup game will occur this SATURDAY 12/16 at Bushrod. See SCHEDULE/SCORES page. The Warr/Papr makeup will occur on 1/14, as previously mentioned.
Scheduling Notes for 12/10
DECEMBER 7, 2006 -- SCHEDULE/SCORES page to be updated within a few hours.
Corporate Donations Drive
- POSTPONED GAMES: The axe had to drop somewhere due to the limited gym space and we decided on the Oakland teams. Papr at Warr can be made up on 1/14 since we played their first of two matchups early back on 11/5. That leaves Tech at Cash, which we can insert on 2/4 Superbowl Sunday (well before kickoff). If Tech and Cash don't want to play on that date, they would have to do a doubleheader on some other earlier date, unless...
- We might be able to play the Tech at Cash game the following Sunday 12/17. Papr at Warr would be dependent on their prefs and availability of gym space despite our tournament on 12/17. Perhaps just playing Papr at Warr on 1/14 is easier. Captains, contact the league office.
- Geck at Wolv: Locked in at 11:30am. Will need Wolv capt to help out scorekeeping again afterwards at 12:30pm.
- Fade at MaxP: Sort of locked in at 10:30am.
DECEMBER 6, 2006 (7:00PM) -- Even though it's pretty much essential to our survival, we've been way too swamped of late to follow up with you guys about corporate donations. Our newest dreamleague volunteer, Miky Kuo, might be giving you a call to set something up via snail mail (filling out a form) or at this Sunday's games. Thanks for your help as we strive to get all this done before the tax season ends on 12/31.
Major Gym Problems for 12/10
DECEMBER 6, 2006 (4:00PM) -- There's a lot of AAU youth tourneys going on this weekend. SQHS and IJRC are not available and BCRC now has reduced hours. We are trying to plug up the holes, but don't be surprised if we have to postpone some of the following: NL, AAA-P East/South, and REC Oakland. All of these leagues or conferences, we foresee the ability to do makeup games, probably in the morning on 2/4 (Superbowl Sunday). Stay tuned, because while postponement is imminent, IT IS NOT DEFINITE. Schedules will be up in the next 24 hours.
Bay Area Gold Rush Tourney Coming Up!
DECEMBER 5, 2006 -- The deadline for the upcoming Gold Rush Tourney is fast approaching! For the Elite division, we have some new national rankings, which should get interesting as we head into 2007 because there is a parallel elite tourney the same weekend at our Gotham City Games. For our Bay Area tourney, there are also updated lists of teams attending for other divisions, which include Competitive (like our league's AL), 6-Foot, INT/REC (like our AAA), and Masters (35-and-over)... More info
Scheduling Notes for 12/3
NOVEMBER 30, 2006 -- Scheduling notes for 12/3...
Every Team Will Have to Suck It Up a Little
- Let me know if there's a typo on the SCHEDULE/SCORES page compared with the Bird's Eye View, which is usually more correct because it's just a text copy/paste whereas SCHEDULE/SCORES involves a lot more error-prone clicking.
- Based on the craziness of this week's scheduling, we will attempt to start scheduling games every Tue instead of Wed. This means all special requests should be emailed before the end of Tue, otherwise you might as well not request it because it's probably too late.
- Papr at Tech: Locked in at 10am with B.Le of Papr scorekeeping at 11am and playing on other team at 12pm.
- Warr at Cash: Cash requested late game and since they help us tremendously (capt is web stats mgr) with scorekeeping every week, they deserved it. This tipoff is later than Warr usually want to go.
- Fade at Geck: Both teams ok with early 9am start, so let it be.
- MaxP at Wolv: Wolv capt helping with scorekeeping the 9am game.
NOVEMBER 29, 2006 -- Here are some hot items of late:
On tap for the website Thursday: 12/3 scheduling and notes and Gold Rush Tourney stuff
- We have been getting quite a few 1pm or later tipoff requests. We don't have any additional gym space; it would cost everyone more money to try and find new gyms just for the afternoon. Everyone will need to suck it up once in awhile and play at 9:30 or 10:00 at some point. If someone has a better alternative, such as a new gym where fees are affordable, let us know.
- If your team makes a special request, we will need your help in returning the favor with game scorekeeping, or 1-hour scoresheet compiling (which helps get your stats up faster), before or after your game.
- We could still use more help with the stats. This could be as simple as sticking around after your game to compile your stats, in which we would bump your team's stats up to #1 priority for the week, or helping us get more youth staffers.
For Friday: The start of league articles for AAA-P, NL, AL-E, AL-P, and AAA-E.
Chinese Youth with Skillz for LeBron Commercial
NOVEMBER 27, 2006 -- We got a call today from Blake Casting in Hollywood. They are filming the next LeBron James commercial with Microsoft. Probably has something to do with LeBron's deliberate push into the Chinese market.
They are looking to cast a PAID role alongside LeBron. This person must be:
Contact us immediately for more details.
- Genetically Chinese.
- A 10- to 15 year-old BOY (unfortunately not looking for girls).
- An otherwise awesome basketball player with really good skills.
Roster Slot Fees Have Started to Go Up
NOVEMBER 27, 2006 -- Roster slot fees have gone up two bucks from the original price. This is actually one week behind schedule, as we originally said prices would be going up starting 11/6.
We have found this to be the only effective way to get your slow-paying teammates to get moving.
Please be aware that one roster slot per game played must be paid BEFORE TIPOFF, otherwise your team will AUTOMATICALLY FORFEIT. If you cannot pay online by credit card, you can pay the senior Dream League scorekeeper at the scorer's table.
If you pay by cash, be sure it's written down on the scoresheet and signed by you.
WE WILL BE UPDATING PAYMENTS MADE PER TEAM IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS. The payment info currently found on the Rumor Mill will be transferred to each appropriate league page. If you are unsure if certain teammates have paid or not, send us a quick email and we will do a search in our Google Checkout account. A full audit is expected after 12/11 as we hit the Tourney/Xmas/NewYear break.