|THU 10/2 (11:00AM) -- Yeah, I know we're past the actual regular season midpoint, but if you consider playoffs, we're around the middle by now. With all the negativity going on with payments, non-Asians, and what have you, I thought we'd finally mention some funner stuff. Here are some quickie thoughts, looking at the standings...|
- CREAM OF THE CROP. Usual Suspects and Bay Area Ballers: really, no surprise that they are undefeated. These guys play like a team and are dreamleague veterans, know what to expect out there. Someone stop Dennis Garcia the stat-stuffer on Usual and 3-point bomber Nic Vu of the Ballers.
- NEXT TIER. MVPs, Sqad Up, BBOF, IITWI. Again, no surprise for these stalwart vets. The MVPs will always have a chance with the versatile Mike Evans who, btw, checked okay on the Asian-descent issue... Sqad Up has come a long way and hustles like crazy. I haven't seen them play yet, but I'll bet John Kim is leading them on at the strong point... IITWI finally added a point guard and look what happens (I forgot his name)... BBOF is led by shooting guard Paul Nguyen (steady captainship too) and Chris Liclican at the 1.
- NO INFO. DYVM, Camden, Good Sires, Old School: I haven't seen them play yet, so I really don't know about these new teams.
- HELLO. Golden Showers: a bit of a surprise to me. I haven't seen them play this season, but I wouldn't doubt if Kim Tek is playing more mature this season, not just jacking up shots left and right, although he is capable of making a lot of them.
- MID-LEVEL EXCEPTIONS. Wet Wet: the brawny team anchored by Hong Son in the middle. Probably not enough shooters on that team... You know Asian tourney vet Phil Rufino will bring a quality squad with Leaders N Legends (I haven't seen them play)... Visual Basic always hustles but captain Quoc Huynh is their only consistent player... Karate Explosion is led by one man: Jerry Leung, who can light it up from NBA range as he did on 9/21 with 11 treys, a dreamleague record 8 of them in one quarter... The Raptors are just struggling. Seems like too many guys falling in love with the trey, live-n-die. Allan Kwong really hasn't made as big an impact on games as I have seen in the past.
- SUPRISE, SURPRISE. SJ Hibachi has all the pieces being the defending champ, esp. hustle, led by point/captain Nathan Lee, but I'm a little surprised by them at 2-3.
- THE REST. Okay, I'm gonna stop there. I've hardly seen the rest of the teams play anyways. Sorry, guys! Believe me, I know the feeling. My teams are 2-3 and 0-3. My combined 2-6 is probably the worst in years!
- BACK TO THE ASIAN THING. Well, the funny thing about it is, among the teams that have been fingered as having non-Asians, I only see one team that's really benefitting. Camden's at 4-1, Hibachi's at 2-3, and Ortega's at 2-3.