|Welcome to San Francisco and enjoy the beautiful view of the skyline from the hill below our Potrero Hill gym (on the Northside!). It's no surprise that many movies and TV series (e.g., Party Of Five) have been shot right here.|
I'm sure you can see why I bought my condo in the area, only two blocks from the gym (I didn't plan that) back seven years ago.
Here are some good places to go:
Any questions, just call me up on the spot or ask any gym director. I highly recommend these Potrero spots as compared to stuff near OCHS.
- ALLSTATE NEIGHBORHOOD GROCERY STORE. Only a block down on 20th between Arkansas and Connecticut. Here you can get Gatorade and snacks (slightly cheaper than the liquor store nextdoor).
- JAY'S DELI. Need a quick bite before your game at PHRC? This is the next door down on Connecticut and 20th after Allstate Grocery.
- THINKER'S CAFE. For a caffeine boost, Thinker's Cafe is located next to Allstate Grocery on 20th between Arkansas and Connecticut.
- GOAT HILL PIZZA. Two-and-a-half blocks down on the corner of 18th and Connecticut. Really good pizza. Best restaurant in the area.
- CHEZ PAPA. If you really want to get culturalized by San Fran, here's a little French bistro on the corner of 18th and Mississippi (one block down from Connecticut).
- 16TH & POTRERO SAFEWAY, JAMBA JUICE, NOAH'S BAGELS. This is, obviously, at 16th and Potrero, then main street nearby. Just take city streets down the hill from Arkansas and 20th and make a left once you hit 16th. There's a very modernized Safeway, Jamba Juice, and Noah's Bagels. Be sure to enter the parking lot from the further entrance on the Office Depot side of Safeway.
- LIVE SUSHI BAR. Used to the be the site of Garden of Tranquility Chinese Restaurant. Now a really high-quality sushi bar with a boring name that doesn't do it justice.
- VIETNAMESE RESTAURANT NEXT TO O'CONNELL. I can't remember the name of it, but a really good Vietnamese restaurant is down the block from O'Connell on Harrison and 18th (or Mariposa -- in any case definitely between 18th and 16th on Harrison, you can't miss it).
OCHS is located in the Mission, which is largely populated by Latinos, therefore any nearby burrito place or similar is definitely good. Ask the gym director there for suggestions, but if you're on your way to PHRC, I recommend the spots listed above.